THE BEST OF THEATER 2008

In his annual listing of the best of Philippine theater for 2008, Gibbs Cadiz chose Tanghalang Pilipino's "Golden Child" as best full length play.

"Best Play (Full-Length):“THE GOLDEN CHILD” (David Henry Hwang; Loy Arcenas, dir.). A splendid production marked by eloquent staging and fluid direction, nearly flawless acting by a great cast, visually stunning scenery and costumes, and the sharp, epigrammatic richness of David Henry Hwang’s lines."

I am happy to have been part of the production and to have programmed it as Tanghalang Pilipino's opening production for its 2008-2009. I am thankful that CCP and Nanding Josef ensured that the production would push through. I suppose I can be forgiven for feeling vindicated in my belief that it should be a Tanghalang Pilipino production and that it could do well critically and commercially.

As far as the rest of Gibbs choices go, I am happy that a lot of what I considered to be outstanding productions and performances did not escape his notice. In certain cases, I was surprised that my choices did not end up to be best in his list, but I cannot say I saw all the productions that he did. I am also glad that a lot of people whose work I have admired got the recognition they deserved.

The entire article and list of citations are here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TWENTY-FIVE LANDMARK PLAYS OF PHILIPPINE THEATER

"HUBAD" and "THE PALANCA IN MY MIND" return for the Virgin Labfest

Susan Valdez is in town